Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sometimes I Just Sits

"Sometimes I sits and I think, but sometimes I just sits" - Satchel Paige

There are times I sit down at the computer and my fingers go off on a journey that I have no idea what they're going to type. But, I just sit in the passenger seat and before you know it, there I am saying "I'll see you on the roads". This is not one of those times! I am having complete RWA block tonight, so I think I'll just serve you a big helping of RWA Mess. What's that you say? Well, there's an Italian restaurant outside of Boston, I think the name is Camella's, that we always frequent when up there to visit my family. It's more of a walk-in kitchen for great take-out. Well, one of there "specialties" is called Mess - it's literally all different shaped pastas cooked together with sausage, beef, chicken, whatever is sorta leftover from the other dishes they make. It's a mess, but it sure is good. Not sure if this is good, but here's tonight's mess.

Has there ever been a satisfactory answer to why running shoe companies constantly change or discontinue their popular models? Just when it seems you have found that shoe that works, there it goes, replaced by the newer step-up with the next consecutive number. I can see replacing shoes that sell like old Yugos, but why do they replace the popular ones? I mean it's not like you stop buying shoes if you like the older model. You need shoes if you run (OK, let's not go down the barefoot rocky road tonight). Maybe the Trak Shak guys can answer that one.

Why do big marathons sometimes hit you with strange drinks at the aid stations? Here I am, just like hundreds of marathon coaches around the country, branding rule #1 into the minds of new runners - DON'T TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY! Then Wham! You find out this huge race is serving Cytomax, or Ultima, or some other vile tasting electrolyte drink on the course. Probably 90% of the runners, including the coaches, have never even had the opportunity to try these drinks out. You don't want to find out on Race Day that Accellerade gives you the runs (I won't mention any names, but...nevermind). That new nector might be the missing link to that miracle marathon, but that's not where I'll bet my 2 bucks. C'mon guys, stick with Gatorade or Powerade, or at least something we can find during training.

Want to try a new flavorful snack? How 'bout Hot Dog flavored potato chips? I kid you not. I think they're exclusively the property of 7-Eleven stores, but you have to hand it to them, it does peak your interest a little bit, doesn't it? One thing that doesn't peak my interest at all is the deep-fried butter they were selling at the Iowa State Fair. Oh man, this country's eating has gone to hell in a wheelbarrow!

On the Red Trail at Oak Mountain, one day, about two years ago, I was going through a section called the Rock Garden (no explanation needed, just run with caution). At a slight bend in the trail, I noticed a little area off the trail that had about 4 or 5 little gnome statues. One had a note around his neck, stating his name and that he was lonely. About a month later, I ran the same trail and the little gnome-dom had grown to about 15. My next visit, I brought a gnome of my own to add to the population. Well, it was about then that my ankles had me looking for smoother trails, so I didn't return to the Red Trail until about three weeks ago. THE GNOMES WERE GONE! Now, I can conjure up a cute story that they packed up and are now living under a bridge someplace, but it really bothered me that some no-good decided upon himself that this was some intrusion on the pureness of the forest. Anybody know where the Gnome nomads went?

You know how something sticks in your head and you keep coming back to it? Well, this has been rattling around in my head the past couple of days...Does Vibram make gloves called Five Toes? Afterall, they are well known for shoes called Five Fingers!! Just wondering.

Finally, this has nothing to do with RWA Mess, or even running, but this morning my son, Michael, and daughter-in-law, Joanie, became the parents of Emma Katherine, my 2nd grandchild. Now, Adam has a sister to protect, a sister to boss around, and most importantly, a sister to love. Emma comes into a world of hotdog flavored potato chips and gnome-stealing no-gooders! I guess if grandpa can take it, she'll learn to also. Welcome to the world Emma.

My bones may be creaking, my blood pressure may be rising, and lately an 11 minute mile sounds pretty good, but as long as my shoes have some rubber on them, I'll see you on the roads - AL


"One child lost is too many...one child saved can change the world"

No comments: